Pages

Tuesday, January 23, 2018

The family creative workshop series

I first came across the family creative series books at the Army library in Bangalore. My uncle, who is a defence personnel would take me there and I would head straight to the arts and crafts section. And there it would be, the family creative workshop series- 24 beautiful hard bound editions with beautiful pics and illustrations on so many crafty topics, Many of which I had never even heard about before. What also took me by surprise is how the books seemed to give equal importance to a seemingly trivial craft (say, paper plate masks) to something like leatherworking.I really liked this approach. After all, if paper plate mask making makes you happy, that is what you should do.

Years later at an university book fair, I found a book called the 'Golden family craft treasury' the pics looked familiar  and I was elated to find out that the book was a selection from the books of the family creative series.

Recently  when I saw these books in the bargain bin sale at betterworldbooks.com,I just had to grab them. i was skeptical about shipping 5 hard bound books across the globe, but when I saw they were free shipping too, I decided to give it a go. The books arrived weeks later than what was said, but boy were they worth the wait, 5 books filled with beautiful projects, pictures, crafts I have never even heard of and most of all oodles of inspiration.
Last week, I found two more of the books at blossoms- the used book store in Church street Bangalore. They were not in as good condition as the betterworldbooks.com ones, but much cheaper.

Now my goal is to complete the collection. Each book is a joy, wonderful hardbound editions with production quality you just do not just see these days. These are perfect for someone like me who loves books and is a sucker for all things vintage. These books combine them in a neat little hardbound package.

The books are a little worn out on the outside but mostly intact inside.
 The covers itself has beautiful drool worthy pictures.
When I saw this needle lace house I just had to try it out.

Only to find out that it required just too much patience, which unfortunately I did not have.
I also tried my hand at making ice creams,
 which were the best ice creams I ever had, with a wonderful creamy texture, I never knew home made ice creams could be this good.

I leave you with some more pictures from the books.












No comments: